A PIECE OF DANISH HISTORY
The over 100-year-old schooner Halmø was built by Rasmus Møller, who was also behind many of the beautiful lighthouses for the Danish state. Halmø was completed in Faaborg on 9 April 1900.
Until the Second World War, Halmø functioned as a cargo ship and domestic package. In 1943, Halmø became one of the ships that took part in the dramatic rescue operation of the Danish Jews to Sweden
Until 1970, Halmø sailed a fixed route between Sæby and Nyhavn for the Copenhagen breweries. In 1970, boat builder Freddy Jørgensen fell in love with Halmø, and spent the following 11 years restoring the ship together with his son. Halmø was restored and furnished like a classic yacht, and the original hold was carefully restored and rebuilt for safe sailing with guests.
In 2009, Halmø changed owners again, and a lot of work has been done on her since then. It is Halmø's permanent crew of two who maintain the old lady.
In 2015, the crew themselves went to a forest on South Funen to find the right Douglas fir for the ship's new mast, rig and bowsprit. J. Ring-Andersen Shipyard in Svendborg planed the wood, and the crew varnished and installed the mast and the entire rig themselves. Until now, Halmø has sailed with red sails, but on 5 August 2016, the lady was dressed in completely new, white sails.
K/S Halmø is today owned by Copenhagen Admiral Hotel.